In a world with little hope and no rules, the only thing they have to lose is themselves.
Rhys Cooper is a dead man. Cut off from the world since childhood, he’s finally exposed to the lethal virus that wiped out most of the human race. Now his only hope for survival is infection by another strain that might confer immunity. But it’s sexually transmitted, and the degradation he feels at submitting to the entire squad of soldiers that rescued him eclipses any potential for pleasure—except with Darius, the squadron’s respected, capable leader.
Sergeant Darius Murrell has seen too much death and too little humanity. He’s spent a decade putting plague victims out of their misery and escorting survivors to a safe haven he can never enjoy. He’d rather help Rhys live than put him down, so when Rhys can’t reconcile himself to doing what’s necessary to survive, Darius is forced to save Rhys in spite of himself.
But with each passing day, it looks less and less likely that Rhys can be saved. Which means that soon Darius might have to put a bullet in the head of the one person in years who reminds him of what it means to be human.
Available for purchase at:
Review it at Goodreads
What reviewers are saying about Strain:
- “This is one story that will stick with me long after I am done reading it. Five Shooting Stars.” — RedzWorld
- “…dystopian fantasy at its finest…devastatingly beautiful.” — Jenni Lea for Boy Meets Boy Reviews
- “A strong, dark read.” Em at A Shared Brain Cell
- “…passionate, intense and not for the faint of heart…” — Author Nikka Michaels
- “Strain will be on my Books of the Year list for 2014. This I already know. More than 5 stars if I could.” — KazzaK at On Top Down Under Book Reviews
- “absolutely beautiful.” — DavinciKitty at GraveTells
- “I Loved It!” — Heather C at The Blogger Girls
- “Strain fulfilled every single one of [my] dystopian desires.” — Cia at GayAuthors.org
- “My. Kind. of. Book” — Lirtle Grafton at Prism Book Alliance
- “The story and the struggles make this an amazing read.” — Vanessa at The Jeep Diva
- “It was one of those that I didn’t want to put down.” — Christi Snow at Smitten With Reading
- “a compelling, absorbing and thrilling read” — Feliz at Mrs. Condit and Friends Read Books
- “kept me enthralled from the start” — Jody at Words of Wisdom from the Scarf Princess
- “I’m not even sure I can adequately express all the things it made me feel.” — Janette at 3 Chicks After Dark
- “It was FANTASTIC. One of the best books I’ve read this year” — Vanessa at Love, Lust and Laptops
- “I’m not sure I have the words for the awesomeness of this story.” — Chrissy at JoyfullyJay
- “I was intrigued from start to finish, read this book in one sitting that caused me to lose lots of sleep.” — Tams at MM Good Book Reviews
- “Strain is a well written and absorbing novel.” — Melanie at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
- “thought-provoking, creative and powerfully written.” — Jonetta at The Book Vixen
- “a tale that will linger for a long time to come.” — Marleen at More Than a Reading Journal
- “a thrilling dystopian tale.” — Solange at Smut Book Club
- “Amelia Gormley has created a really excellently drawn post-apocalyptic world” — Author Leta Blake
- “I took a chance on this book, and I loved it until four in the morning.” — Tina for The Novel Approach
- “Kudos to the author for taking a risk on a volatile subject and giving us front-row seats to every possible angle, and some of the best, well-drawn characters I’ve ever encountered in fiction.” — Author Eden Winters reviewing for Cryselle’s Crazyspot
- “this is an amazing and complex story” — Laurie P for Night Owl Reviews